Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Did You Know?


***Please note any and all images you see from our artisans belong TO the artisans so please respect copyrights and our artists by not copying them. If you'd like to share something you see on this blog, please do, but always link back to the artist and ask permission if in doubt.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Member Artisan Profile: Folk-Art.com / Southern Heart Gallery

I’m pleased to introduce Folk-Art.com at Southern Heart Gallery, featuring original paintings and prints. Artist and owner Barbara has been creating since childhood and began painting in 1990. She says, “I have always had a creative nature. When I started painting, it was because of a love of folk art and a desire to create some of my own!”

Her favorite materials to work with are acrylic paints, usually on canvas. Barbara also loves quilting and crafting in general. She says, “I love getting a new idea, and then putting it into a creation! I love the Louisiana culture, and love depicting that... the people and rich cultures of the state...so many unique places and experiences to draw from for my art, and to enjoy in my life!”

When asked about her favorite piece, Barbara replied, “I have so many! But I think my favorite is Louisiana Saturday Night.” (pictured below)


The busy artist is also the mother of 4, grandmother of 8 and great grandmother of 1. “My family is my life,” Barbara says. “I have worked for more than 30 years in computer programming...it has allowed me the luxury of pursuing my art.” Her biggest challenge, is finding time to paint, as well as balancing the creative process and the business side of things.

Southern Heart Gallery will soon be featuring a new series of French Quarter images. “I am always pursuing historical images of things that are gone from our lives, or going soon,” Barbara explains, “I love to capture those for the preservation of the memories.”

When asked what skill she would like to learn next, she replied, “To paint people...I can capture the animals and houses, trees, etc...but my people always look funny! On the other hand, they are kind of my signature now, and they usually make me laugh after I am finished and I look at them.”

Her best piece of advice for other sellers/artists? “Believe in yourself! It took me a long time before I could call myself an artist. I believe the more confidence you have, the more successful you will be!”

Barbara says, “I am excited to be a part of this [Handmade Louisiana] forum! I like to help others promote their art; I have selected other artists on my website to hopefully help them sell. Everything we can do to help each other is a good thing!”
Her work can be found in galleries, including the America, Oh Yes folk art galleries located in Hilton Head, SC and Washington, DC.

Barbara’s creations can be found online at:
http://www.folk-art.com/
Southern Heart on Etsy

She can also be found at www.twitter.com/southernfolkart

4 comments:

  1. These are amazing pieces of art!!! Such talent in our own backyards!! :)
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara,

    I love your people. They are unique like the people of Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THESE PAINTINGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all...I am thrilled to be here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails