Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Did You Know?


***Please note any and all images you see from our artisans belong TO the artisans so please respect copyrights and our artists by not copying them. If you'd like to share something you see on this blog, please do, but always link back to the artist and ask permission if in doubt.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Member Artist Profile: Stitches in Cotton


Congratulations to November’s Craft-a-Long runner up: Stitches in Cotton. (It was Handmade Louisiana's closest vote ever!)

Artist/owner Dee creates accessories for babies, children and adults. “Throughout my life I have had an interest in various crafts,” she says. “I learned how to crochet when I was a little girl, then I moved on to hand quilting. It’s been about a year since I’ve gotten back to doing it on a more regular basis.”

Hers is another example of necessity being the mother of invention. She explains, “When I found out my boys were allergic to polyester. It was getting cold and I needed to find hats and gloves that didn’t contain polyester. I searched stores and the internet and came up with nothing. I decided to look for a crochet pattern and I found an adorable little hat. My boys loved the hats so much and it brought so much joy to them that I decided to create more to spread that joy. Nothing makes a mama happier than seeing her creation being drug inside and outside, through stores and being slept with because it’s their prized possession.”

When asked which is her favorite item, Dee cites the popcorn hats she made for her boys (and the one submitted to the Handmade Louisiana November Craft-a-Long).

Dee’s biggest challenges include time and money. “I have so many ideas in my head I don’t have enough time to get them out,” she says. Her favorite part of the works she does is being able to stay home with her sons and earning a little spending money.

She offers the following advice to new sellers: “If you are just starting out, have patience. It’s hard at first. Get a lot of products together and take the best pictures you can.” She advises seasoned sellers to “help the newer sellers. The advice of those that have ‘been there, done that’ is invaluable to us. I tend to promote those who have helped me to try and pay back what I was given.” (Her philosophy epitomizes Handmade Louisiana’s mission.)

When asked what other skills she’d like to learn, Dee replies, “I don’t think I could fit another skill in my life. HA HA! But if I had all the time in the world I would say painting.”

Dee’s connections to Louisiana are strong. She grew up in the Greater New Orleans area, left for a brief year stint in the Air Force. “There is no place like LA, and no matter where I am it will always be home for me,” she says.

To learn more about Stitches in Cotton, visit the following links:
www.stitchesincotton.artfire.com
www.stitchesincotton.etsy.com
http://www.stitchesincotton.com
http://twitter.com/stitchesncotton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails